Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog. Here, you will find information about my novels, life in Japan, as well as author interviews, discussions on writing, and more. Feel free to browse and if you enjoy a post, please comment. Thanks for reading!

02 March 2012

Word Count

I'm up to about 45,000 words on The Super School Uniform. I'm hoping for around 100,000. Stephen King said in his book On Writing that 180,000 is a goodish length for a book if the tale is done well and stays fresh. I don't know if I'll ever get that many words but I'm hoping as my skills improve, my word count will go up. Adventure Hunters was around 63,000 words, I'm expecting to pass that with my next novel. At 44,000 words I'm only near the halfway point on The Super School Uniform.
As I wrote screenplays, page count was always a factor I thought about. An average screenplay was about 120 pages, or a two hour movie. One page of a screenplay equaled about one minute of film. I liked having a page goal, it was something to aim for. If my screenplay was woefully short, say 80 pages, I knew to go back and add stuff, usually character-building moments. Novels are more loose, they can be as short or as long as they need to. But I like having a minimum to shoot for, like a little map to follow. Obviously my 100,000 word goal is not ironclad but it's a nice signpost to write towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment