Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog. Here, you will find information about my novels, life in Japan, as well as author interviews, discussions on writing, and more. Feel free to browse and if you enjoy a post, please comment. Thanks for reading!

16 April 2014

Out Of The Four Seasons...

…I like summer the best. I am definitely a summer person. I’d rather be too hot than too cold. Although I grew up in Wyoming, which had some brutal winters, I think I lost my tolerance for cold when I moved to Alabama.
One thing I hate about winter is that it is physically painful. My ears and fingers hurt when they get too cold. As I walk outside I shiver, my muscles tense and jump trying to keep me warm. I just hurt. Not to mention I have to wear several layers of clothes to just keep warm. And when I do get to the nice warm indoors, I have to shed all those layers, only to put them back on again when I leave. Can you dig it?
Summer is a lazy season. Whereas I need to move to keep warm in winter, I don’t want to move at all in summer. If I don’t move, I won’t generate any body heat that will warm me up. I just need to stay still. I do admit that summer seems more mentally draining than winter. I’m not sure how, but it does.
Summer is the season for travel. For getting out there and doing things that you like, not what you have to do to survive (unlike winter). Going to Okinawa and canyoning on Iriomote Island was one of my best summer vacations. Summer is time for getting together with friends and family for whatever reason: playing baseball at the school field, searching for shells on the beach, playing a game of Triad with your Battlestar Galactica friends.
One thing I don’t like about summer here in Japan is that my wife still has to work. Japanese kids get about 40 days off for summer break. They still have homework to do; and if they belong to a sports club, they will have to go every day, just like they do during the school year. Teachers still have piles of work to do, so it isn’t much of a holiday for the school system. You can read more about it here in an older post I did.
How about it? What’s your favorite holiday? Sound off in the comments. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment